Those Sunday mornings when your house smells like freshly-baked cakes… Is there anything better? Early autumn is a time when we like to do more activities at home. Do you like baking? One of the easiest things to bake are homemade cupcakes. And, as usual, there are a few tips to make them just perfect. Read on to find out more.
13 tips for your homemade cupcakes
- Remember that all ingredients need to be at room temperature. This will prevent the batter from curdling. Take them out of the fridge shortly before starting to bake your homemade cupcakes.
- Unless the recipe calls for something different, we recommend using medium-sized eggs to avoid adding more liquid than necessary.
- Use baking powder and cake flour, which is the best one to make batters that needs to rise in the oven.
- Always add a pinch of salt to enhance the flavour.
- Another tip to enhance the flavour of your homemade cupcakes is to add flavourings: lemon or orange zest, vanilla essence, cocoa powder…
- Use olive oil instead of other oils. You can tell the difference not only in the flavour, but also in the freshness and moisture of the cupcake.
- To achieve a perfect batter, you need to mix for a quite a while. This will make it trap enough air and you will get a spongier cupcake.
- Patience is key! Let the batter rest in the fridge for a while before placing it in the oven. The cold-hot contrast will make the cupcakes rise more.
- Fill only ¾ of the cupcake mould (it can be paper or rubber) to avoid spills while baking in the oven.
- Don’t open the oven door under any circumstances during baking time! The sudden change of temperature can make the batter collapse.
- Bake the cupcakes on a baking tray instead of a rack, because it maintains the temperature better.
- After you have taken them out of the oven, let them rest for a few minutes.
13. To keep them fresh for days, you can keep your homemade cupcakes in an air-tight tin.
All this may look like a lot of information, but the good news is that most of these tips to make homemade cupcakes are quite obvious. Once you use them in your baking method, you won’t want to do it any other way! If you don’t have a “family” recipe for cupcakes, there are lots online. Choose your favourite and don’t forget to follow these tips!