True pasta lovers will agree with us that pasta cannot be cooked in any one way. Because cooking pasta the right way, depending on what type of pasta it is and following the tips we will give you here will guarantee an exquisite flavour and that perfect texture that you love so much.
Write down and use these tips in the kitchen!
- The water: do you just guess the amount of water and pasta? Well, it’s time to change that! And if you do, trust us, you will notice the difference. The correct proportions to cook pasta are 1 litre of water per every 100 grams of pasta. Important: you need to stir it every once in a while during the cooking process so the pasta is loose.
- The salt: you need to add salt to the water when it starts to boil, because salted water boils at a higher temperature. But don’t over do it with the salt! The right amount of sea salt is between 12 and 15 grams per litre of water.
- The pot: choose a pot that is big enough for the pasta to be loose and not get stuck due to lack of space.
- A drop of oil: for some varieties of dried pasta, especially the long ones, and for fresh pasta, it is recommended (although not essential) to pour a little extra virgin olive oil into the water.
- When to add the pasta?: this step is key. Add the pasta to the pot once the water is boiling and the salt has dissolved. Keep the heat on high to prevent the cooking process from stopping.
- Time: it is essential to respect the cooking times that appear on the pasta pack. Although if you cook with Pastas Gallo and you go a little bit over the indicated time, you do not need to worry because one of the benefits of our pasta is that it never sticks or goes too soft.
- Strain it, but do not place it under running water: surely you have done this more than once. You must remember that this is a mistake that will reduce the flavour and salt of the cooked pasta.Once strained, pasta must be immediately added to the ingredients it goes with. You may sauté it for a few minutes in a pan to mix it with its sauce or garnish, but do not over do it.
- The cheese: are you one of those people who can’t eat pasta without adding a little cheese? We can’t blame you, it truly is an irresistible combination. But please bear in mind that the cheese must be added once the pasta has absorbed a little bit of the flavour of the sauce. A good method is to have the cheese on the side at the table so everyone can add as much as they want. A final tip? Grate it just before adding, so it does not go dry and it melts better with the pasta and the sauce.
Cooking pasta like a real chef is very easy! Once you have followed all these tips and you have added your favourite sauce (or garnish) you simply have to enjoy your creation. And, if once cooked, there are leftovers: don’t throw them away! In this article we talk about how to reheat pasta to enjoy it like on the first day.